Staring: a prolonged gaze or fixed look.

I mean, the definition [according to Wiki] alone sounds annoying. Nobody likes the feeling of eyes on them, yet everyone does it. The Germans, however, appear to take it to a whole other level. In "The Germanic Stare Down," Kimberly Bradley attempts to point out this creepy characteristic and perpetuated stigma of the German population. I found her piece very entertaining, especially because I was unaware of this habit in Germany. How strange it is... my perception of the German population has forever changed*. I guess people everywhere have their obscurities and I suppose it's not such a bad thing that the German population actually cares about the inhabitants of Deutschland. Still, it's a bit weird.
But anyways, next time you're caught in mid-stare, put a smile on and just say, "Ich spreche kein Englisch." The victim will probably not gain much comfort after you say this, as you may appear even more insane to a non-German speaker, but at least YOU know it's just the German way!
Here's a video that came into mind:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v2eSKH9OYI
*Note to self: When I go to Germany and become a sudden victim of this habit, remember to give 'em a wink!
Lustig! (dein Kommentar und das Video!)
AntwortenLöschenPerhaps we should be practicing the stare-down for effective communication:) (or not)