This by far has been the most interesting read for this course. I chose to read the optional text provided by the homework page for the course. It was an article on how language affects the way we think about the world; from directions, time, and many other things that are given gender specific details. One of the most interesting things I found in the article was the piece on Kuuk Thaayorre which is a language used in a small part of Australia. The way that these language speakers view space is directionally (as in north, south, east, west) and that this helps them always know which way they are going, even in an unfamiliar place. With the advancement of technology I feel like this is one aspect of life that people have forgotten since they can just "pull out their iphone and google maps it." They also spoke about art and colors and how death in Germany would be portrayed by many as a man but in Russia it would more likely be portrayed as a woman.
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.