For example if you hear:
Mother: Jonny, do these pants make me look fat?
Jonny: [in high squeaky awkward voice] No... you look.... fabulous
You better find something else to wear. But, if you hear:
Mother: Jonny, do you like this Mazoball Soup?
Jonny: [in normal voice] Yeah, it's pretty good.
You should probably commit the recipe to memory, 'cause it's gonna be pretty popular.
Apparently, in Germany, honesty is key. Politeness or a desire to please does not get in the way of honesty. Brutal honesty.
I can understand the merits of the honesty of the Germans. Although it means having frequent demotions of self esteem, it also means that complements really do mean something. I like your sweater isn't just a conversation filler, but actually carries some weight. Have you been loosing weight doesn't just mean "I want you to like me" but actually that you might be shedding off some "winter insulation."
But for now (especially when grading my exams) I prefer the American form of honesty.
:) I'll remember that when grading and I'll watch my tone of voice when telling you my opinion:)!
AntwortenLöschen