This leads into my main focus, which is drinking and Bier in Deutschland. I can't speak for Bavarians, but certainly Northerners (like people from Berlin) get very annoyed with the American stereotype of Germans as lederhosen wearing, big bellied, alcoholics or as blonde hair, blue eyed, double D floozies. But nonetheless, Germans sure love their brats and beers.
I didn't realize that Germany produced such a large number of biers from so many breweries. It is certainly true though, that Germans can brew bier. Personally, I am not as fond of Pilsners and Lagers. I prefer dunkel or schwarze biers. German dark beers are all really good. on my last trip to Germany, I brought home with me a collection of German biers including: Köstrißer Schwarzbier, Bergquell Kirsch Porter, Lausitzer Porter, Erdinger Dunkel, and Schöfferhofer Dunkles Hefeweizen. All of them were exceptional! It is interesting, many Germans like dark bier that is a little sweeter, so naturally they add sirup to dark biers, i.e. Kirsch Porter. Kirsch porter is 90% porter and 10% cherry syrup I believe (same idea as bud with lime). Personally, I love this style of beer because I like the sweetness and it is not too overwhelming to me as it is to some American dark-beer drinkers. Just to mention, from my observations, in the last few months, US supermarkets have been receiving many many more German biers. You can now get imported Paulaner, Warsteiner, Hacker-Pschorr, Spaten, and many others.
I wanted to add a little about the whole "Prost!" thing and the eye contact. With my girlfriend, her family, and her friends, the eye contact when you tap glasses together is ESSENTIAL! Not doing this is a definite mistake. You will get called out for it by the person you failed to look at, and like the article says, seven years of bad sex... and no one wants that haha.
I have never heard of someone trying to persuade you to drink more in Germany by claiming the bier won't give you a hangover. Sounds like a pretty sly tactic. Also, unless you are at home, leisurely drinking, I've never seen someone take three minutes to pour a glass of bier, certainly not in a pub or bar.
It appears that all my favorite biers in the list are the highs and ughs as far as hangover risks are concerned. German dark biers are just incredibly good. Lecker Lecker! I was not surprised to see so many bier mixes like with cola or lemonade or with cherry liquor. It was very common in Germany, and hence why they make biers like Kirsch Porter and Erdbeer Porter.
The Arbor Brewing Company here in Ann Arbor makes an Olde Number 22 German Alt. This German inspired altbier is very good! I had it on tap at ABC a couple months ago. Also, The Blue Tractor makes a really good Schwarzbier!

Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.