I liked finding that you can express different ideas and end up with a nice little rhyme that you wouldn't be able to pull off in the same way if you were writing in English or another language. It helps put into better perspective the concept of thinking differently if you think in a different language. I didn't think anything I read of Goethe's seemed crazy or anything but certainly he came to different ideas and diction than he would have if he'd written in English. I don't currently know enough German to send my mind down a different path than it would normally be on but we will see what happens as we all learn more together. Perhaps our minds will overflow with German poetry.
Here is a shorter poem of his called 'Found'
| Ich ging im Walde | I was walking in the woods | |||||||||||||
| So für mich hin, | Just on a whim of mine, | |||||||||||||
| Und nichts zu suchen, | And seeking nothing, | |||||||||||||
| Das war mein Sinn. | That was my intention. | |||||||||||||
| Im Schatten sah ich | In the shade I saw | |||||||||||||
| Ein Blümchen stehn, | A little flower standing | |||||||||||||
| Wie Sterne leuchtend | Like stars glittering | |||||||||||||
| Wie Äuglein schön. | Like beautiful little eyes. | |||||||||||||
| Ich wollt es brechen, | I wanted to pick it | |||||||||||||
| Da sagt' es fein: | When it said delicately: | |||||||||||||
| Soll ich zum Welken, | Should I just to wilt | |||||||||||||
| Gebrochen sein? | Be picked? | |||||||||||||
| Ich grubs mit allen | I dug it out with all | |||||||||||||
| Den Würzeln aus, | Its little roots. | |||||||||||||
| Zum Garten trug ichs | To the garden I carried it | |||||||||||||
| Am hübschen Haus. | By the lovely house. | |||||||||||||
| Und pflanzt es wieder | And replanted it | |||||||||||||
| Am stillen Ort; | In this quiet spot; | |||||||||||||
| Nun zweigt es immer | Now it keeps branching out | |||||||||||||
| Und blüht so fort. | And blossoms ever forth. |
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.