
Ok, let's be honest. Ich genieße facebook. Eigentlic, Ich liebe Facebook. So for this assignment, I switched my facebook settings to Deutsch on Thursday (Donnerstag), and proceeded to kill two Vögel (thank you for that vocab word Magic Flute) with eins stone. After a weekend of Facebooking in Deutsch, here below are my thoughts.
Overall, I think I handled the transition pretty well. True, I knew the facebook layout and the things my friends posted were still in English, but I was taken by surprise and just how much I read on fb without realizing it. I have been able, for the most part, to figure out words without looking them up-- and have been getting by just by using context clues. This has plusses and minuses: for example, I think "freundschaftsanfragen" means something like friend requests. I recognize the word freund (friend), but am not hip on what the "schaftsanfragen" translates to.
Some words are extremely easy to identify, Fotos means (you guessed it) Photos and Profil means Profile (but you already knew that). Some are more difficult, when I got a notice that my friend Zoe "gefällt" my status, I had to use wordreference.com to find out that she liked what I said. And It took me another trip on the internet-rollercoaster to find out that my "Neuigkeiten" was my news. Perhaps the opening Neu is some kind of cognate to New?
The attached photo is a screenshot of my facebook in German! Take a look! And happy MLK day to all.
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.