The Turner Movement
Throughout the reading of “How German is American” there were many interesting points about how German-Americans influenced contemporary American institutions. What caught my attention in throughout these descriptions was the influence of the Turner movement. The reading described this movement as liberal and democratic association made up of immigrants that fled Germany in 1848 after a failed democratic revolution. What stood out to me the most was the Turner motto: “Sound Mind in a Sound Body.” This philosophy was put to action through the incorporation of gymnastics into public school education. This movement also had a large impact on the development of American gymnastics. The liberals that made up this social group supported the reform of public education, improved conditions for workers, woman suffrage, abolitionism, and “rationality unencumbered by religious dogma.” Turners were also said to be very politically active and brought their ideas of social reform into government offices. I find it rather unfortunate that out of all of the great ideas that these Turners expressed, their legacy is their creation of physical education and American gymnastics (not that gymnastics is bad, I just really like their ideas.) I feel that for the physical education system to be more successful and respected the philosophy, “Sound Mind in a Sound Body” should be reestablished. Throughout the reading I also gained a much greater respect for German culture since there is an apparent strong tie with rationalism. Instead of creating an isolated “Little Germany,” the immigrated population integrated themselves with the local population and established their homesteads wherever they believed they would be able to make a living. “How German is American” taught me much about German culture and how it was established in America. This was valuable in helping me form a connection to this group of people with whom I share very similar ideals.
-Joey Gurrentz
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.