Mittwoch, 18. Januar 2012

Gina Chen - Kultur 1

I found it very fascinating that the Germans have immense interest in Native American/American Indian culture, so much that they even "don feathers and war paint and 'recreate' traditional Native American ceremonies." As a student active in the Asian/Pacific Islander American community and has read quite a lot of academic literature on objectification and the act of 'seeing,' I wonder, exactly how do Germans view Native Americans? Is it with respect towards the extensive, often sad, history of domination of Native Americans? I'm glad there was mention of Lindbergh Namingha's NAAG (Native American Association of Germany), but I wish there was more elaboration as to what "corrective[s]" the association provides to the Native American appreciation activities that take place in Germany!

I also found Milwaukee's German-centric history very interesting, as I have only learned about the city, in an academic context, as a destination for the Hmong refugees post-Vietnam. Then I learned that Oscar F. Mayer was a German immigrant! What a variety of relations to Germany...!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.