Dienstag, 6. März 2012

Kultur 4 - Fahrrad fahren!

I think the spring bug has bit me, but as I was walking home and dodging cyclists I realized that I really missed having a bike, and when I saw that there was an article about cycling in the Kulturtexte, I was sold!

Bike paths sound way more inviting than the bike lanes we get in the states. They firstly, terrify me to be riding my bike that close to oncoming traffic and secondly they are often impossible to stay within, disappearing when you make turns or other difficulties. These lanes are often obstructed by street traffic, manhole covers, repairs and the like. There is even a youtube video on the impracticality of the bike lanes in NYC.



As a walking student bikers on the sidewalk can be frustrating at times, I have actually been hit by other people. Although, I can't say I blame them for wanting to join the safety of sidewalk land.

I feel that the introduction of these "mini-autobahns for two wheeled traffic" in the United States would effectively cut down on auto congestion and perhaps on oil consumption (although that is kind of a lofty goal). Mostly, because its safer, because the community rallies behind a good idea, and that in areas where it seems just a little too far to walk, you have options.

Perhaps it's too easy to get a drivers license here? Reading the licensing process in Germany sounds quite a bit more difficult. Though I do realize it is on a state by state basis here (Florida being one of the easiest states to get a license in - go figure). If all students had to go through such a rigorous process I think perhaps it would cut down on improper driving now.

I think that the efficiency of travel in Germany, can be broken down into two parts. That it is harder to gain the ability to drive, and that biking is safer and more appealing since the city design caters to it.

I wonder just how hard it would be, to enforce a safe area on already paved areas for cyclists?

Too bad my degree isn't in urban planning.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.