Dienstag, 6. März 2012

Dodgin' Dodgin' Dodgin'


As a native New Yorker I have the bad habit of turn-style jumping. It's not something I'm proud of, but late at night when I know I won't get caught, my metrocard has the bad habit of not sliding through the opening and the $2.50 (!) for the subway ride does not come off my card. Often you see an undercover cop [read: police officer in uniform wearing sunglasses-- great disguise] watching the ternstyle. But it's so obvious and only at certain stations and at certain times.

I've never been caught. I suppose if I ever am (and pay the $100 fine) I will go back to always paying. I did some research and the MTA estimates that riders entered the subway without paying 18.5 million times in 2009 (an average of 50,684 a day).

Also, as a New Yorker i am always amazed how in some cities the subway closes. How do people get around very late/in the wee hours of the morning. I vividly remember one time my sister and I were on Holiday in Montreal-- we were out very late [read: very early in the AM] and couldn't get back to our hotel. My pitiful French certainly didn't help [Bonjour. Je m'appelle Jonny].

Oh well- When I go to Germany, I'll have to keep in mind to play by the rules


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.