Sonntag, 8. April 2012

Kultur 6 - Die Tür geschlossen ist!

(http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,412990,00.html)

I'm not sure if it's because I am an American, or really just because of my personality but I often feel weird crossing the threshold of a door and unless I am sure I am invited in, I don't feel comfortable enough to just go inside.   I do find an open door inviting and have myself used it as a reasonable way to say, "Sure come on in." In fact in dorm life, or even in my current apartment situation, if my door is open it means you are more than welcome to come bother me. However, if my door is closed (in contrast to its normal position) I'm probably doing something like sleeping that I wouldn't want to be bothered during. I guess however, that the idea of knocking to gain entrance and that it should be one knock that's heard the first time, isn't really well.. surprising. Perhaps it's another demonstration of Germany efficiency - no excessive knocks needed. Just one and the job is done.

Upon further research I found this link for comparative differences between Germany and the USA with regards to doors and the like!

http://www.german-way.com/germany-usa-cultural-comparisons_5.html


Happy Easter,  Frohe Ostern!

Chrissy

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.