Sonntag, 8. April 2012

The Last Blog


Here we are. The last blog. Let the tears commence.

The first article I read is about Bild Zeitung, Germany's answer to British tabloids. I take issue with a specific line in the text: But unlike the National Enquirer in the US, Bild doesn't rely too heavily on stories it invents in house. Growing up, my piano teacher (whom I love and is convinced is a genius--seriously!) told me his father was in the newspaper industry and that I should believe everything I read in the tabloids-- specifically the National Enquirer. Now, obviously the tabloids that say things like "Oprah mothers baby with 3 heads" is not true, but on numerous occasions he assured me that the Enquirer pays for their stories and that they are most often true. I know you probably think i'm crazy, and if it were any other person i wouldn't believe them, but I just have so much respect for my old piano teacher that i totally believe him.


The second article I read is about Germany privacy and closed doors. I can relate. My voice lessons are on tuesdays at 11:30. Right before me, my teacher has another student, and so right at 11:30 i'm supposed to knock wait for the "come in" and then enter-- sit on the loveseat by the door, wait for the lesson before me to wrap up, and then start my own lesson. It's never been that easy. For one thing, I think it's pretty rude to knock when the person before me is singing, so I have to jam my ear up to the door to hear what's going on. Then I have to find a time to knock decisively and hard (so it can be heard-- not not so hard that it is rude) and then my teacher usually waits a few seconds to finish up what's being said before saying come in. During the few seconds I always freak out a little bit (did he not hear me? should I knock again? will it seem rude if I go in without hearing the come in? Did he say come in but the noise in the hall prevents me from hearing it? It's now 11:31 which means i'm loosing valuble lesson time) Sometimes I knock, he knows I'm there, but he needs some private time with the student before me so the "come in" takes a little time. I would welcome a doorbell on my teacher's door, with a neon light up "come in" sign.


This has been fun!
Jonny

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.